Fairfield, CT. – The Sacred Heart women's basketball team hosted the Bulldogs of Bryant in the NEC Semi-Finals, as Bryant picked up a 75-68 upset over the Pioneers. SHU was led by senior Adaysha Williams who put up a career high 26 points. The Pioneers finished the season 17-14 (13-5) and with a Robert Morris win on Sunday would send SHU to the WNIT.
Bryant won the opening tip as they opened up play with a jumper, followed by a deep ball to give them a 5-0 lead. Katherine Haines was quick to respond for SHU adding a layup after a slick move past a defender. A defensive battle between the two teams kept the game scoreless, but Adaysha Williams opened things up, with a finger roll to cut the Bulldog deficit to 6-4 with 1:49 remaining. Each team exchanged a pair of triples to close the quarter with Bryant on top 9-7.
Haines picked up the opening points of the second quarter to give them their first lead of the night 10-9. Castro and Kimmel added shots from beyond the arc to maintain the Pioneer lead, 16-14 at the 7:29 mark. Kimmel would hit a smooth fade away jumper following the timeout, but the bulldogs would respond on the next possession with a jumper of their own. The score would stand at 25-19 to close the half with Bryant's last second layup being called off.
Adaysha Williams was on fire to start the third, as she picked up 10 points for SHU in the opening four minutes of play. Williams would find herself in foul trouble, picking up three fouls, but it wouldn't slow down the Pioneers, as Haines would pick up back-to-back layups to keep SHU in the game. Carter would add a triple in the closing minutes, but Bryant would respond to keep the score
The Bulldogs held the Pioneers scoreless for the opening four minutes, till Haines started things off with a free throw. Kimmel would hit a big three to put SHU back in the game 54-48, with Bryant ahead. Bryant would hit back-to-back triples moving the score to 60-48 with 4:00 left in regulation. Erin Storck picked up a bucket from downtown, followed by a layup from Williams to cut the Bulldog lead to 62-53 with 2:01 remaining in regulation. Hickey would hit a bucket from downtown before fouling out, as the score stood 64-56. Despite a late comeback from SHU, the Bulldogs would hold on to take the game 75-68.
- The Bulldogs struck first with an opening jumper, followed by a deep ball to give them a 5-0 lead at 7:45
- Haines was first to get on the board for SHU with a slick move past a defender for a layup
- Williams pulled the Pioneers back in it driving to the basket with a finger roll to cut the Bulldogs lead to 6-4 with 1:49 remaining
- Bryant hit a big three in the closing minutes of the first, but Carter answered with SHU's first three of the night to end the first 9-7 in favor of Bryant
- Haines opened up the second quarter with a layup followed by a free throw to give SHU their firs lead of the night, 10-9
- Castro and Kimmel added a bucket from downtown as SHU was getting their shot back to put the Pioneers ahead 16-14 at the 7:29 mark
- The Bulldogs would go on a 8-0 run, forcing SHU to take a timeout at 4:13, with Bryant ahead 22-16
- Kimmel was given a good look from Hickey to turn it into a fade away jumper for SHU, but the Bulldogs would respond with a jumper of their own
- The score would stand at 25-19 to end the first half, with Bryant ahead
- Williams put the team on her back to start the third, with two big drives to the basket, adding layups, and a free throw, moving the score to 25-24 in favor of Bryant
- Pioneers were looking on their game after the half as Haines picked up a layup. The Pioneers were 100% (4-4) from the field
- SHU would extend their lead following another Williams jumper, to move the score to 34-32 with 5:21 left in the third
- Haines would put in back-to-back layups after a beautiful pass form Kimmel but the Bulldogs would respond, holding a 40-38 advantage with 2:12 remaining in the 3rd
- Carter would add a triple, but Bryant would respond instantly with a bucket form downtown of their own
- Hickey picked up a technical foul giving the Bulldogs a pair of free throws as the score would stand 47-44 to end the third
- The Bulldogs held the Pioneers scoreless for the opening four minutes, till Haines started things off with a free throw
- Kimmel would hit a big three to put SHU back in the game 54-48, with Bryant ahead
- Bryant would hit back-to-back triples moving the score to 60-48 with 4:00 left in regulation
- Erin Storck picked up a bucket from downtown, followed by a layup from Williams to cut the Bulldog lead to 62-53 with 2:01 remaining in regulation
- Hickey would hit a bucket from downtown before fouling out, as the score stood 64-56
- Despite a late comeback from SHU, the Bulldogs would hold on to take the game