Pioneers Face Red Flash in First Round of NEC Tournament
SACRED HEART (12-17, 9-9 NEC) vs. Saint Francis U (13-16, 11-7 NEC)
Northeast Conference Quarterfinal * Loretto, Pa. * DeGol Arena * 3:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... For the third time this season, the No. 6 Sacred Heart women's basketball team prepares to do battle with the No. 3 Saint Francis U Red Flash. After splitting the regular season, the two will faceoff Sunday in the first round of the 2014 Northeast Conference Tournament.
Series Notes... This is the 27th time in program history the Pioneers have played Saint Francis University
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 16-10
- Sacred Heart and Saint Francis U split this season with each team collecting a win on its home court
- These teams have faced each other twice in the Northeast Conference Tournament. The first time was in the title game in 2009 when the Pioneer took the 74-66 victory, and last year the two battled it out in the semi-final. SHU ultimately fell 83-67 as the Red Flash moved on to the championship game against Quinnipiac
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 217-111 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 11-8, Central Connecticut State 28-14, Fairleigh Dickinson 24-2, LIU Brooklyn 16-14, Mount St. Mary's 24-5, Robert Morris 20-8, Saint Francis U 16-10, St. Francis Brooklyn 23-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Joe Haigh enters his second season as the head coach of the Saint Francis U women's basketball team. Haigh saw his team play very well down the stretch as they earned a 15th trip to the Northeast Conference Championship game. The Red Flash also earned an invitation to play in the Women's Basketball Invitational (WBI) for the first time.
Up Next... The winner of Sunday's quarterfinal will go on to play in a semifinal game on Wednesday.