SACRED HEART (11-14, 8-6 NEC) vs. Central Connecticut State (9-15, 3-11 NEC)
GAME 26 * New Britain, Conn. * Detrick Gymnasium * 1:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... Monday night's win over St. Francis Brooklyn clinched Sacred Heart's fifteenth straight Northeast Conference tournament berth. Heading into Saturday's matchup with in-state rival Central Connecticut State, every game down the stretch matters as the Pioneers are still battling to be in the top four guaranteeing the covetted first-round home game.
Series Notes... This is the 42nd time in program history the Pioneers have played Central Connecticut State
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 28-13
- Since joining the NCAA Division I Ranks, Sacred Heart is 24-6 against the Blue Devils
- Sacred Heart went 1-1 against CCSU last season. Falling on the road 62-57 in overtime before winning at home a month later 61-39
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 216-108 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 11-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 24-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-14, Mount St. Mary's 24-5, Robert Morris 20-8, Saint Francis U 16-10, St. Francis Brooklyn 23-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Central Connecticut State University alumnaBeryl Piper returns for her seventh season as head coach. The 1987 graduate has guided the Blue Devils to 78 victories over the last five seasons, the best five-year span in program history. She has also led CCSU to three Northeast Conference Tournament Semifinals (2009, 2010, 2011) in her tenure. Piper enters 2013-14 with a career record of 82-98 in six seasons. Excluding her first year back in New Britain, her record is 78-73.
Up Next... Sacred Heart heads to Bryant to face the Bulldogs Monday night at 7:00 p.m.