Pioneers Welcome St. Francis Brooklyn Monday Night
SACRED HEART (10-14, 7-6 NEC) vs. St. Francis Brooklyn (16-8, 7-6 NEC)
GAME 25 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 7:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... Formally the top two teams in the Northeast Conference, the last time Sacred Heart faced St. Francis Brooklyn, they were tied for first place. A month changes things as this Monday night the Pioneers and Terriers will battle for sole possession of fifth place in the William H. Pitt Center.
Series Notes... This is the 34th time in program history the Pioneers have played St. Francis Brooklyn
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series 23-10
- Earlier this season, St. Francis Brooklyn handed the Pioneers their second conference loss of the season 69-49 in Brooklyn
- Sacred Heart has 13 wins against the Terriers at home
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 215-108 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 11-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 24-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-14, Mount St. Mary's 24-5, Robert Morris 20-8, Saint Francis U 16-10, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... John Thurston enters his second season as head coach of the St. Francis Brooklyn women's basketball program. Overall, Thurston embarks on his 41st season on the sidelines. In a season and a half, Thurston has collected more wins (23) than SFBK won in the five years before him (22). In his first season at the helm of the Terriers, St. Francis Brooklyn was picked eleventh in the preseason coaches' poll. Thurston led the Terriers St. Francis Brooklyn back to the Northeast Conference Tournament after a five year hiatus. The Terriers eleven wins marked the first time the program attained double-digit victories since the 2007-08.
Up Next... The Pioneers face in-state rival Central Connecticut State on the road Saturday at 1:00 p.m.