SACRED HEART (8-10, 5-2 NEC) vs. BRYANT (10-8, 5-2 NEC)
GAME 19 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 7:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... The battle for sole possession of second place in the Northeast Conference comes to Fairfield Monday night as the Sacred Heart women's basketball team takes on the Bryant University Bulldogs at 7:00 p.m. in the William H. Pitt Center. The Pioneers, currently on a two-game winning streak, and the Bulldogs, who were served their second NEC loss of the season on Saturday, both come into game 5-2 in conference play
Series Notes... This is the 18th time in program history the Pioneers have played Bryant
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 10-7
- Sacred Heart is 9-0 against the Bulldogs since Bryant joined the Division I ranks and the Northeast Conference four years ago
- When facing each other as Division II teams, the Bulldogs led the series 1-7, with SHU only taking one game at home
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 213-104 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 28-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 20-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Mary Burke, the three-time Rhode Island Women's Basketball Coach of the Year ('07, '08, '13), will enter her 23rd season as head coach of the Bryant women's basketball team in 2013-14. In 2012-13, Burke helped guide the Bulldogs to a 12-18 overall record and their first ever trip to the Northeast Conference Tournament. Bryant won eight of its final 13 games to clinch the eighth and final spot in the 2013 NEC Tournament, the program's inaugural postseason appearance at the Division I level.
Up Next... Sacred Heart will host Fairleigh Dickinson Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. in the finale of the four-game homestand.