SACRED HEART (6-10, 3-2 NEC) vs. CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE (8-7, 2-3 NEC)
GAME 17 * Fairfield, Conn. * William H. Pitt Center * 7:00 PM *
Setting the Scene... The Sacred Heart women's basketball team returns home Monday night to face the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils in the first game of a four-game homestand. With the support of the home crowd, the Pioneers hope to snap their two-game losing streak.
Series Notes... This is the 41st time in program history the Pioneers have played Central Connecticut State
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 27-13
- Since joining the NCAA Division I Ranks, Sacred Heart is 23-6 against the Blue Devils
- Sacred Heart went 1-1 against CCSU last season. Falling on the road 62-57 in overtime before winning at home a month later 61-39
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 211-104 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 27-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 24-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-10 and Wagner 19-9
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Central Connecticut State University alumnaBeryl Piper returns for her seventh season as head coach. The 1987 graduate has guided the Blue Devils to 78 victories over the last five seasons, the best five-year span in program history. She has also led CCSU to three Northeast Conference Tournament Semifinals (2009, 2010, 2011) in her tenure. Piper enters 2013-14 with a career record of 82-98 in six seasons. Excluding her first year back in New Britain, her record is 78-73.
Up Next... The Pioneers continue the homestand this weekend, hosting Wagner on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. and Bryant on Monday at 7:00 p.m.