SACRED HEART (5-8, 2-0 NEC) vs. Mount St. Mary's (6-8, 1-1 NEC)
GAME 14 * Emmitsburg, Md. * Knott Arena * 4:30 PM *
Setting the Scene... After taking huge wins over perennial Northeast Conference powerhouses Saint Francis U and Robert Morris in the opening weekend of conference play, the Sacred Heart women's basketball team hits the road this weekend. First stop: Emmitsburg, Md. to face the Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers (6-8, 1-1 NEC).
Series Notes... This is the 28th time in program history the Pioneers have played Mount St. Mary's
- The Pioneers lead the all-time series, 23-4
- Sacred Heart is a perfect 14-0 against the Mount at home in the William H. Pitt Center
- The Pioneers and Mount have faced off four times in the NEC Tournament, with SHU leading the post season series 3-1. Mount St. Mary's defeated Sacred Heart in the 2001 Championship game, and SHU knocked the Mount out in the quarterfinals three times in 2005, 2007 and 2009.
SHU Against the NEC... Sacred Heart is 210-102 all-time against Northeast Conference opponents
- The Pioneers went 13-5 last season against the NEC, including a nine-game winning streak
- SHU has a winning record against all NEC teams: Bryant 10-7, Central Connecticut State 27-13, Fairleigh Dickinson 23-1, LIU Brooklyn 15-13, Mount St. Mary's 23-4, Robert Morris 20-7, Saint Francis U 16-9, St. Francis Brooklyn 22-9 and Wagner 19-8
The Head Coaches... Jessica Mannetti is in her first season as a collegiate head coach when the Pioneers tip-off in 2013-14. She comes to Sacred Heart after spending the past four seasons as an assistant coach at Hofstra University on Krista Kilburn-Steveskey's staff. While at Hofstra, Mannetti helped guide the Pride to a 72-55 record as well as a pair of appearances in the WNIT... Bryan Whitten will begin his seventh season as the Mount St. Mary's women's basketball coach in 2013-14. Whitten and the Mountaineers are coming off a 15-16 record in the 2012-13 season that saw the program's first trip the Northeast Conference semifinals since the 2000-01 season. The squad's 15 wins were also the most in Whitten's tenure and the most for a Mount team in a season since the 2000-01 campaign.
Up Next... Sacred Heart continues its three-game road trip on Monday night when they head to Staten Island to face the Wagner Seahawks at 7:00 p.m.