NEWARK, N.J. – For the third consecutive match, the Sacred Heart men's volleyball team dropped a four-set affair 3-1 (25-21, 24-26, 14-25, 17-25) to the NJIT Highlanders Friday night at NJIT Wellness and Events Center.
SHU – 2-7, 0-4 EIVA
NJIT – 3-8, 1-1 EIVA
First Set: SHU 25-21
- After an Emerson Waumans ace gave SHU a 4-3 lead, NJIT won the next three points to go up 6-4.
- SHU got back in the lead at 11-10 after a Taylor Bloomquist kill and a Highlanders error. Back-to-back kills by Luca Berger highlighted a 3-0 NJIT run that gave the Highlanders a 13-11 lead.
- Trailing 17-15, SHU went on a 7-1 run to take a 22-18 lead. The Pioneers scored four of the seven points on blocks.
- SHU took the set 25-21 after back-to-back kills by Waumans and Shawn Tischler.
- The Pioneers hit .345 in the opening set.
Second Set: NJIT 26-24
- Sparked by two kills from Waumans and a Noah Ricchetti ace, SHU took a 10-7 lead.
- The Pioneers led 15-11 when an Alvaro Gimeno kill kickstarted a 5-1 NJIT run to tie the set 16-16. Kevin Myren was in on two blocks during that run.
- With the set tied 19-19, two Shawn Tischler aces highlighted a 4-0 SHU run to put the Pioneers up 23-19.
- NJIT came back with four straight points of its own, as a pair of Piotr Namiotko kills tied the set 23-23.
- SHU earned set point at 24-23 on an NJIT error, but the Highlanders won the next three points to take the set 26-24.
Third Set: NJIT 25-14
- Bailey Mundy and Ricardo Whitaker combined for four aces in the first 12 points of the set, as NJIT jumped out to a 10-2 lead.
- SHU cut the lead to six at 16-10 on kills by Waumans and Connor Mahony.
- NJIT won seven of the last 10 points to take the set and a 2-1 lead in the match. Namiotko and Mundy combined for five kills in that stretch.
Fourth Set: NJIT 25-17
- Led by two Namiotko kills and a Myren service ace, NJIT jumped out to a 5-0 lead.
- Trailing 11-4, SHU closed to within four as kills by Waumans and Tischler made the score 11-7.
- A Gimeno kill capped a 5-2 NJIT run that put the Highlanders ahead 19-11.
- SHU got kills from Blake Cox and Bloomquist to get back within five, 19-14.
- NJIT outhit SHU .389-.040 in the fourth.
Key Stats and Notes
- Waumans led the Pioneers with 13 kills, adding four digs and four blocks.
- Ricchetti had 27 assists and eight digs.
- Joshua Ayzenberg had 10 digs and eight assists.
- NJIT outhit SHU .309-.140 for the match. Gimeno and Namiotko each had a match-high 16 kills.
SHU travels to Princeton Saturday for a 7 p.m. match.