Pioneers Win Soggy Soccer Game Over The Mount, 2-0

Pioneers Win Soggy Soccer Game Over The Mount, 2-0

Oct. 19, 2007

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

Fairfield, CT - Senior Ricarti Mendes (Campinas, Brazil) and junior Jason Tessitore (Orange, CT) each scored goals and Sacred Heart fought through a torrential rainstorm to earn a 2-0 win over Mount St. Mary's in men's soccer action Friday at Campus Field. The game included a 20 minute rain delay when the standing water on the field had to be cleared to make play possible.

Mendes put the Pioneers up early with a goal in the 16th minute. After a long run down field, Mendes fired a crossing shot from a bad angle 10 yards out. The ball lined toward the left corner of the net, past the outstretch arms of Mount goaltender Chris Davis and just inside the post to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead.

The rain, which had been persistent all day, got so bad in the second half, the ball would stop still on a pass when it hit the water. The officials finally stopped the game with 32:19 left in the second half when Mount St. Mary's couldn't attempt a corner kick because the ball continually floated away on the standing water.

After about 20 minutes, Sacred Heart officials had cleared enough water with buckets and shovels that game could continue. Just 1:46 seconds after the restart, sophomore Jesper Fredriksson (Gothenburg, Sweden) found Tessitore with a long down field pass. Tessitore made a quick adjustment and was able to boot a left-footed shot past Davis to put the game away for Sacred Heart.

Goaltender Matt Jones (Stoke-on-Trent, England) made six saves in goal for the Pioneers to earn his sixth shutout of the season. Six of the SHU's seven wins on the season have come via shutout.

The Pioneers are back in action Sunday when they host Monmouth. Game time at Campus Field is set for 2:30 pm.

Men's Soccer Downs Maine, 1-0
September 22, 2007 Men's Soccer Downs Maine, 1-0
Men's Soccer Stuns Yale, 1-0
September 9, 2007 Men's Soccer Stuns Yale, 1-0