Pioneers Shut Out 1-0 by St. Francis-NY; Terriers Get First Win

Pioneers Shut Out 1-0 by St. Francis-NY; Terriers Get First Win

Oct. 1, 2006

Final Stats

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (October 1, 2006) - St. Francis-NY's Atiba Fraser scored the only goal the Terriers would need Sunday afternoon, finding the back of the net in the 52nd minute to give his team their first win of 2006 and hand the Sacred Heart men's soccer team a 1-0 loss on Campus Field.

The Pioneers, now 4-4-1 and 1-1 in the Northeast Conference, missed on an early scoring chance in the 15th minute. After being awarded a corner kick, SHU's Ricarti Mendes (Campinas, Brazil) send the ball into the box where Jason Tessitore (Ansonia, CT) blasted a shot on goal. SFNY keeper Chris Antonino came up with the save but the rebound was corralled by Jonatan Allback (Gothenburg, Sweden) who fired a rocket of his own toward the right post. The ball beat Antonino but Terrier defender Diego Martinez cleared the ball out preventing the go ahead score.

The play remained focused in the midfield for much of the first half with neither team garnering much of a scoring chance until the 42nd minute. It was then that St. Francis looked like it would crack the scoring column when Tyrone Fordham launched a throw-in toward the box where Edson DaSilva one-timed a shot that was by SHU keeper Matthew Jones (Stoke-on-Trent, England) but just wide right.

The Terriers (1-9-0, 1-1 NEC) finally solved the Pioneer defense in the 52nd minute after being awarded a free kick on the right sideline. Carlos Moncaleano lined up and fired the ball into the box where it was finally collected by John Baptist Joseph who redirected a pass to Fraser in the middle. Jones tried to come out and play the ball but Fraser was able to chip a shot into the right corner of the net for what proved to be the game-winner.

The Sacred Heart offense kicked in to high gear and stepped up the pressure looking for the tying goal. The Terrier defense, however, was right up to the task repeatedly turning away opportunities. SHU had a nice look in the 70th minute when David Backman (Gothenburg, Sweden) blasted a shot from 30 yards out the banged off the cross bar.

With the seconds ticking away, the Pioneers made one last ditch run for a game-tying tally when the ball was served into the box and Jesper Fredriksson (Gothenburg, Sweden) fired a point blank shot that Antonino turned away for the last of his five saves to persevere the shutout win.

The Pioneers held a 15-7 advantage on shots and a 5-2 advantage on corners. Jones made just one save in taking the loss for SHU.

Sacred Heart will take a break from Northeast Conference play when they head to New Hampshire on Wednesday, October 4th to take on the Dartmouth Big Green.


Pioneers Fall to UConn, 2-0
September 20, 2006 Pioneers Fall to UConn, 2-0