MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa.— A penalty kick goal by Keane McIvor in the 92nd minute was the difference maker as the Sacred Heart men's soccer team fell to Robert Morris 1-0 on Sunday afternoon. The Pioneers (3-12-1, 0-5-1 NEC) were called for a handball inside the box at the rain soaked North Athletic Complex, setting the Colonials (4-9-3, 3-2-1 NEC) up for the penalty kick opportunity.
RMU held the shot advantage over SHU through the opening half, 8-3. The Pioneer offense kicked up the tempo in the second period with six shots to the Colonials five. SHU went up a man after a Colonials red card in the 79th minute, creating more chances in the final twenty minutes of regulation. Sophomore midfielder Oscar Curras counted for five of the Pioneers nine shots including all three marks on goal. He nearly put the Pioneers ahead in the 89th minute but Winter Fondi was there to make the stop.
The Pioneers headed into the seventh overtime game of the season after the scoreless 90 minutes. RMU drew a free kick nearly a minute & a half into overtime action. McIvor sent the free kick into the box from 25 yards out. The Pioneers were called for the handball after defending the chance inside the 18. McIvor sent the game winning penalty kick to the bottom right corner past the diving sophomore Robert Strain.
RMU outshot the Pioneers 14-9 & held the favor on corner kicks 6-3. Fondi made three saves in the shutout while Strain picked up four saves in goal for SHU.
The Pioneers will travel to Columbia for its final non-conference matchup on Wednesday, November 1. The matchup will be under the lights with a 7:00 p.m. start.
- Strain picked up his first save of the game at 13:51 on the shot by Bayley Winkel.
- Curras started the Pioneers offense with two chances in the 18th minute.
- Senior Ezra Siyadhuba missed the Pioneers last scoring chance of the first half as his shot sailed wide in the 33rd minute.
- Curras opened the second half with a shot from outside the box but shanked it just wide left of the net.
- Sophomore CJ Weinstein had a look on goal at 73:05 but pushed his shot just high over the crossbar.
- SHU had a corner kick look in the 83rd minute, senior Dylan Santos nearly timed the kick by Curras with his header pushing just left of the net.