FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart men's soccer team wrapped up the weekend with a 1-0 loss to in-state foe, Central Connecticut State on Sunday afternoon.
The Pioneers (3-8-1, 0-2-1 NEC) and Blue Devils (5-7-2, 2-2 NEC) traded scoring chances early in the game as both teams looked to end the week with a win. SHU nearly got on the board in the 20th minute as sophomore Riley Sullivan sent in a header to senior Ermir Celaj who sent a header off the crossbar. Sophomore Oscar Curras was there for the rebound shot but his kick went high over the net. CCSU got the game's lone goal in the final minutes of the first half as Andres Albino fired home the assist from Louis Beddouri in the 44th minute. Sacred Heart looked to rally in the second half but was unable to find the back of the net.
Sacred Heart was outshot 12-10, and was held without a shot on goal. Celaj & Curras led SHU with three shots each. The Pioneers attempted five corner kicks in the second half and were unable to convert. Carson D'Ambrosio earned the clean sheet for the Blue Devils. Sophomore Robert Strain registered three saves for SHU.
The Pioneers will travel to Bryant on Sunday, October 22 for a noon start.
- Curras made a strong through pass to Celaj in the 8th minute, Celaj's shot missed just wide from the right side.
- Celaj's Header off the crossbar followed by Curras miss high were the closest SHU scoring chances on the day in the 20th minute.
- Dylan Santos nearly struck the back of the net on the header off the corner kick feed in the 38th minute.
- Sullivan had another strong cross into the box, Curras was there to receive it but sent it wide left of the goal in the 54th minute.
- SHU missed wide on several corner kicks as they looked to tie the game up.