FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart men's soccer team opened up Northeast Conference play with a 2-0 loss to LIU Brooklyn at Park Ave. Field.
The Blackbirds (2-6-2, 1-0 NEC) looked to pick up scoring chances early in the contest but the Pioneers (3-8, 0-1 NEC) were right there with them trading scoring opportunities. LIU Brooklyn found luck at 36:44 as its defensive pressure caused SHU to turn the ball over. Giuseppe Barone happened to be in the right place at the right time as he gathered the turnover and dribbled in for the score. LIU added its second goal in the 61st minute on a give-and-go play by Anthony Baltazar to Rasmus Hansen to hold the 2-0 edge. The Pioneer attack looked to answer in the second half but was held just one shot on goal in the period courtesy of senior Ermir Celaj in the 85th minute.
LIU Brooklyn held a 18-11 shot advantage over Sacred Heart. Both sophomore Robert Strain & Anthony recorded two saves with the later recording the shutout. Sophomore Oscar Curras led the Pioneers with five shots.
The Pioneers travel to St. Francis Brooklyn for the first NEC road contest of the season. Kickoff is set for 3:00 p.m.
- Alejandro Arribas drove to net and fired one in from the left side but Sciola made the stop at 8:31.
- Stain made a diving stop as Barone had a net front opportunity at 18:46.
- Curras missed just high off the second chance ball from the corner kick by Arribas at 28:45.
- SHU was unable to get any momentum out of back-to-back corners in the opening five minutes of the half.
- Celaj had the Pioneers lone open look inside the box, Sciola swallowed up the shot at 84:43.
- Freshman Anyhony Costa missed high with his first career shot to close the game.