FAIRFIELD, Conn.—The Sacred Heart men's soccer team was defeated by the Columbia Lions 1-0 on a last minute goal at Campus Field. Five seniors, Matt Manzo, Nick Zorbo, Kieran Walsh, Shaquille Saunchez and Chris Carniero were honored in the senior day ceremony prior to the game.
The Pioneers (4-10-2) battled the Lions (11-3-1) early with both teams with five shots in the first half. Freshman Robert Strain picked up four big saves on the day. Saunchez led Sacred Heart with four shots as the Pioneers tried to get on the board in their last home contest. Columbia would strike in the final minute of the game on a corner kick by Nick Azuma was headed by Francisco Agrest then finished off by a diving Alex Bangerl to bring the final to 1-0.
Sacred Heart hits the road to Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday November 6 for their final game of the season.
- Saunchez has two shots back to back knocked down by Dylan Castanheira and Bangerl with a big defensive stop in the eighth minute.
- Aaron Schwartz tried to go for the long shot from 20 yards out but Castanheira made the save.
- Strain made a nice diving stop on a shot by Rhys Williams in the 33rd minute.
- Matt Manzo missed just high on his strike in the 52nd minute.
- Zorbo made a big defensive stop to prevent the Lions from scoring on a shot by John Dennis.
- Saunchez's final attempt got snagged by Castanheira in the 72nd minute.
- Bangerl scored the lone tally in the 89th minute on a diving header.