FAIRFIELD, Conn.—The Sacred Heart men's soccer team used a strong offensive attack to down Holy Cross 3-1 on Wednesday afternoon.
The Pioneers (2-4-1) pushed the tempo throughout the match firing 18 shots to the Crusaders (4-3) 14 shots. Sacred Heart answered first in the 29th minute thanks to junior Ermir Celaj (Brookfield, Conn.), who found the net on junior Dylan Santos's (Rahway, N.J.) pass off a deflection in the box. Celaj has now scored in back to back contests. Holy Cross would answer in the first half as well, scoring in the 39th minute on a header by Arno Rupp on the cross from Yuji Callahan.
Sacred Heart return to action on Saturday September 24, when they host Stony Brook at Campus Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00pm.
- Celaj gets his second goal of the season off the assist from Santos inside the box at the 26-minute mark.
- Celaj nearly scored again in the 31st minute, but missed the open shot from 5 yards out a bit high.
- A cross by Callahan in the 39th minute sets up Arno's header which gave Holy Cross the equalizer before halftime.
- Robert Strain makes his first save of the match in the 51st minute. All three of Strain's saves were in the second half.
- Saunchez's fourth goal of the year came in the 61st minute, firing the ball from five yards out.
- Saunchez seals the game in the final minute with his second goal of the afternoon.