Katz' OT Game Winner Gives Men's LAX 9-8 Win Over Hartford

Katz' OT Game Winner Gives Men's LAX 9-8 Win Over Hartford

March 7, 2009

Final Stats

Hartford, CT - Junior Timmy Katz scored the game winning goal 34 seconds into overtime and sophomore Evan Morgan added a goal and three assists as Sacred Heart posted a 9-8 overtime victory over Hartford in men's lacrosse action Saturday afternoon. The win was the Pioneers' first of the year.

Katz' game winner came immediatley after the face-off to start the extra session. Senior Zach Smith won the draw and Katz took the ball the length of the field, firing the game-winning shot behind Hawks goalkeeper Lee Malandrino.

Sacred Heart closed out the first period leading 4-1 following unassisted goals by Katz and freshman Aaron Lupo. The Pioneers' offense continued to fire as junior Stephan Gerhard took advantage of a man-up situation to open Sacred Heart's lead to 5-1.

After Sacred Heart's early second quarter goal, the Hawks' offense got started, scoring four consecutive Hartford goals, three of which would come within a span of 43 seconds.

Carter Bender set up Aidan Genik to spark the Hartford rally with 12:34 remaining in the second quarter. Following the Hawks' second goal, sophomore Tim Fallon defeated Pioneer Zach Smith in the faceoff, scooped up the ground ball, and went on to net his first goal of the season. Just 29 seconds later, the rookie combo of Genik and Bender would connect once again with Genik scoring his second goal of the game. Both teams went scoreless for the remaining 11:51 of the second quarter, and Sacred Heart entered the halftime break with a 5-4 advantage over the Hawks.

The Hawks opened the second half in full-steam, evening the score with a Ryan Compitello goal. Sacred Heart then snapped Hartford's scoring streak when Peter Ridge scored with 4:24 remaining in the third quarter. Jon Flood closed out the fourth quarter with another goal to give Sacred Heart a 7-5 lead.

After a quick Pioneer goal just 35 seconds into the fourth, both teams battled defensively to keep their opponents away from the crease. The Hawks would then streak for three-straight goals - all within a 49 second span - to tie the game up at eight goals apiece. Jacob Eustice was the first to find the back of the net with 4:52 remaining, which was followed by a Justin Bearse goal with 4:12 remaining and another goal by Genik nine seconds later.

The Pioneers return to action next Saturday, March 14th when they open a three game homestand against Wagner. Game time at Campus Field is set for 2:30 pm in the second half of a lacrosse doubleheader with the women's team.