FAIRFIELD, Conn. – SHU Men's Lacrosse Head Coach Jon Basti announced the Pioneers' 2018 schedule on Tuesday. He also announced the four captains for this season's team.
Highlights of the schedule include:
- SHU opens the season at Stony Brook on Feb. 10 and at UMass on Feb. 13. The Pioneers' meeting with the Minutemen will be the first between the two teams since 2010.
- The Pioneers take on Furman in Baltimore on Feb. 17. SHU defeated the Paladins last season 9-8.
- Three of the next four games for SHU will be at Campus Field. The Pioneers' home opener is on Feb. 24 against Dartmouth, followed by a March 3 game against Providence. After travelling to Vermont on March 8, SHU hosts Hartford on March 10.
- The Pioneers open Northeast Conference play at Robert Morris on March 17, followed by home games against Bryant (March 24) and Mount St. Mary's (March 31).
- SHU closes the regular season with three out of four games on the road. The Pioneers travel to Saint Joseph's on April 7. SHU hosts Wagner for its final home game on April 14, then goes to Cleveland State (April 21) and Hobart (April 28).
Basti also announced that Julian Garritano, Matt Caracappa, TJ Fitzell, and Joseph Choiniere will be the captains for the Pioneers in 2018. Garritano set career-highs with 20 goals and 27 points last season. Caracappa has every game of the last two seasons on defense. He had 32 groundballs and 21 caused turnovers. Fitzell had 22 groundballs and 15 caused turnovers in the defensive midfield in 2017. Choiniere had 16 groundballs in 16 games in 2016, but played only three games last season after having his season cut short by injury.
"I couldn't be happier about our choice of men to lead our program this year," said Basti. "All four men bring something different to the table and fit very well within the Leadership Group and the team. They set a good example for our team to follow. This is a big year for our program and I have the utmost confidence in this group of captains to get us to where we all want to go."
SHU went 9-6 in 2017, setting a new single-season high for wins in the Division I era. The Pioneers reached the NEC Tournament for the first time since 2014.