Sacred Heart Falls To 0-3 After 14-10 Loss To Dartmouth In Patriot Cup

Sacred Heart Falls To 0-3 After 14-10 Loss To Dartmouth In Patriot Cup

DALLAS, Texas – Senior midfielder Alex Miller (Ridgewood, N.J.) tallied his second hat trick of the season as the Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team lost to the Dartmouth Big Green 14-10 in the 2014 Patriot Cup at Ford Stadium on the campus of SMU Saturday afternoon.

Cody Marquis (Londonderry, N.H.) and Alex Dodge (Smithtown, N.Y.) each had two points as Matt Gannon had a team-high two assists. Marquis had a goal and an assist as Dodge scored twice. Freshman Jerome Rigor (Pleasanton, Calif.) had his first two career points on Saturday on two goals. Senior defense Andrew Newbold (Loveland, Ohio) scored a goal in his second consecutive game while also forcing two turnovers. Joe Kemp (Troy, Mich.) won 10 faceoffs and had seven ground balls.

After a cagey start by the two teams, Dartmouth (1-2) got on the board first when Donald Stephan scored at the 7:48 mark of the opening quarter. Thirty-four seconds later, Cam Lee notched Dartmouth's second goal to put the Big Green up 2-0. Sacred Heart (0-3) cut the deficit in half with 6:09 remaining in the first when Mitch Hall (Brick, N.J.) finished off a clear with a pass to Rigor who finished off the breakaway with his first career goal, and by making the score 2-1.

The Big Green led 3-1 early in the second quarter before goal by Dodge and Marquis tied the game 3-3 with 5:28 remaining until halftime. Dartmouth took back the lead with 4:01 to play in the second, but Sacred Heart got the lead heading into halftime. Miller scored his first goal of the game with 0:51 to play, tying the score at 4-4. Kemp then won the ensuing faceoff, got the ball himself, and scored to give the Pioneers a 5-4 lead with 0:40 left in the quarter.

Dartmouth and Sacred heart traded goals to open the third quarter, but back-to-back goals by Jack McCormick and Billy Heidt put the Big Green ahead 7-6 with 3:20 to play in the period. Dodge tied the game 7-7 with his fifth goal of the season at the 1:04 mark. Mike Olentine put Dartmouth back up 8-7 with 0:14 to play in the third, starting a 3-0 Big Green run that put Dartmouth ahead 10-7 with 13:20 to play in the game.

The Pioneers went on a 3-0 run of their own to tie the game. Marquis started the run, scoring right in front of the crease to make the score 10-8 with 12:00 to play in the game. Miller then finished off his hat trick at the 6:57 mark, scoring man-up with an assist from Gannon. Kemp then won the faceoff to Newbold, who scooped and scored in eight seconds to tie the game 10-10. Dartmouth took back the lead seven seconds later, as Wiley Osborne scored his third goal of the game to give the Big Green an 11-10 lead with 6:42 remaining. Lee put Dartmouth up by two, 12-10, with 5:03 to play as the Big Green added two goals in the final minute to win 14-10.

Dartmouth outshot Sacred Heart 50-32 and held a 28-22 advantage in ground balls. The Big Green also won 17 of 27 faceoffs. Jon Flood (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and Ryan Hughes (Bayport, N.Y.) combined to make 10 saves as Blair Friedensohn had eight saves for Dartmouth.

The Pioneers return home for a home game on March 8 against Providence at Campus Field at 1 p.m.