Men's Ice Hockey Falls in OT at Holy Cross

Men's Ice Hockey Falls in OT at Holy Cross

Nov. 22, 2003

Final Stats

Worcester, MA (November 22, 2003) - The Sacred Heart University men's ice hockey team lost a heartbreaker in overtime at Holy Cross. Jeff Dams scored the game-winning goal in overtime to end the Pioneers three game winning-streak.

The difference in the game was the power play conversions as the Crusaders scored three power play goals while the Sacred Heart scored only once with the man advantage.

The opening period featured a number of power play opportunities for both teams, including a two-man advantage for the Crusaders late in the first.

The first penalty had just expired when Holy Cross struck first with 2:30 remaining in the first period. James Sixsmith got the loose puck in front of the net and beat freshman Jason Smith (St. Lambert, QC) on the power play. Assisting on the goal were Tony Coskren and Tim Coskren.

The Pioneers found themselves down 2-0 just 1:46 into the second period when Sixsmith scored his second power play goal of the game. Sacred Heart was shorthanded again just seconds later and surrendered a third power play goal, this time to Jeff Dams. Greg Kealey assisted on both of the Crusaders goals.

The Holy Cross lead was cut to 3-1 midway through the second period when Garrett Larson (Rycroft, AB) put the puck in a wide open net for his second goal of the season. Chuck Metcalfe (Edmonton, AB) and Marc-Andre Fournier (St. Nicholas, QC) assisted on the goal.

Peter Giatrelis (Hamden, CT) made is a 3-2 game two minutes later as he carried the puck into the Crusaders zone and blasted a shot that rang off the crossbar as it went by the glove of Holy Cross goaltender Ben Conway. Assisting on the play were Drew Sanders (Modesto, CA) and Noel Henck (Long Beach, NY).

The Pioneers tied the game with just over two minutes remaining in the second period when they caught a lucky break as the puck deflected off the skate of a Crusaders defenseman and into the net. Fournier was credited with the unassisted goal after putting the initial shot on net.

Both teams tried to take the lead before the end of the period, but were unable to do so as the second period ended tied at 3-3.

Sacred Heart took the lead 0:15 into the third period when Fournier scored his second goal of the game with the assist going to Metcalfe. The Pioneers extended their lead to 5-3 when Peter Ferraro (Pleasantville, NY) scored his third of the season unassisted just moments after the goal by Fournier.

Holy Cross answered two minutes later when Pierre Napert-Frenette scored to make it a 5-4 game in favor of Sacred Heart. Blair Bartlett and Jonas Tomiuk assisted on the goal.

The Crusaders tied the game at 5-5 with 4:16 remaining in the period when Bartlett scored his first goal of the season. The game remained tied at the end of regulation and went into overtime.

Holy Cross were able to sustain pressure in the Sacred Heart zone and it paid off when Dams scored at 2:34 of the overtime period to complete the comeback for the Crusaders as they improved to 8-0-1 in Atlantic Hockey contests.

Tony Quesada made seven saves after relieving Conway in the third period and was credited with the win. Smith made 35 saves in his second start of the season in taking the loss.

The Pioneers will return to the ice when they host Holy Cross on Tuesday, November 25, at the Milford Ice Pavilion in the final game of the regular season against between the two teams. The game is scheduled for a 7:00 pm start.

March 16, 2004 RIDE THE RED WAVE