Johnson's Overtime Goal Lifts SHU Over Canisius, 5-4

Johnson's Overtime Goal Lifts SHU Over Canisius, 5-4

Oct. 26, 2007

Final Stats

Milford, CT - Sophomore Nick Johnson (Windsor, CT) scored the controversial game winning goal 57 seconds into overtime to lift Sacred Heart over Canisius, 5-4, in men's ice hockey action Friday night at the Milford Ice Pavilion. The win was SHU's first of the season.

The game winner was filled with controversy. Senior Alexandre Parent (Boisbriand, QC) ripped a shot from the blueline that was partially stopped by Canisius goaltender Andrew Loewen. As the puck trickled behind the goaltender, Johnson came swooping in to try to pound the puck home. As he did, his stick hit the goalpost, dislodging the net. Canisius argued that the puck never crossed the goal line but the officials ruled the goal good and the awarded the Pioneers the victory.

The goal capped an action-packed game which saw both teams exchange goals. Canisius struck first late in the first period. Freshman Vincent Scarsella fired a shot past Stefan Drew (Oakbank, MB) with 1:46 left in opening stanza. The Pioneers answered the goal 3:45 into the second when junior Dave Grimson (Mozart, SK) blasted a shot from the point on the power play to tie the game.

Sacred Heart took a 2-1 lead 6:39 into the second period. Johnson took a pass from Bear Trapp (Balcarres, SK) and ripped a shot past Loewen. However, Canisius answered back just 42 seconds later when Chris Forsman beat Drew with a shot from the slot.

Canisius would take a 3-2 lead into the lockerroom after two periods after Carl Hudson converted a powerplay marker midway through the middle stanza. However, the Pioneers came out with alot of energy in the third period and struck quickly. Parent and Scott Marchesi (South Portland, ME) completed a well-exectuted 2 man rush for a goal 3:51 into the third. Marchesi carried the puck into the zone and after a couple of touch-passes, Parent blasted the puck into the net to tie the game.

The Pioneers took their first lead of the game with 11:28 left in regulation. With Sacred Heart on the power play, Trapp carried the puck behind the net and found Grimson in the slot with a perfect centering pass. Loewen never had a chance as Grimson fired the puck immediatley to put the Pioneers ahead. The Golden Griffs tied the game three minutes later when Forsman was able to get a shot past a screened Drew to even the game.

SHU outshot Canisius 29-26 for the game. Loewen stopped 24 shots while Drew made 22 saves to earn his first victory of the year in net.

Sacred Heart and Canisius will close out their weekend series Saturday night at the Milford Ice Pavilion. Face-off is set for 7:05 pm.

Army Shoots Past SHU, 6-1
February 29, 2008 Army Shoots Past SHU, 6-1
Pioneers Fall to RIT, 4-2
January 18, 2008 Pioneers Fall to RIT, 4-2
SHU Heads West For Denver Cup
December 26, 2007 SHU Heads West For Denver Cup
Army Tops SHU, 4-2
November 30, 2007 Army Tops SHU, 4-2
SHU Holds Off UConn, 4-2
November 2, 2007 SHU Holds Off UConn, 4-2