Men's Ice Hockey Falls in Atlantic Hockey Opener at Black Bear Classic

Men's Ice Hockey Falls in Atlantic Hockey Opener at Black Bear Classic

Oct. 17, 2003

Final Stats

The Sacred Heart University men's ice hockey team opened it's 2003-04 Atlantic Hockey schedule with a 4 - 2 loss against Holy Cross at the Black Bear Classic in Orono, ME. Kevin LaPointe made 33 saves in the game, giving Sacred Heart a chance to win.

The Pioneers got a quick scoring chance less than two minutes into the game when Garrett Larson tipped a centering feed from Rocco Molinaro just wide of the Crusaders net.

Holy Cross would get the first power play of the game and would have several scoring chances as Sacred Heart couldn't clear the puck out of the defensive zone. J.R. Walker would scored one second after that power play expired to put the Crusaders up 1-0 at 5-01. he was assisted by Andrew McKay and Tony Coskren.

The Pioneers would answer on their first power play of the game with a goal from Pierre-Luc O'Brien, who moved around the Crusaders goaltender Tony Quesada and tucked the puck in behind him. O'Brien was set-up by Kalen Wright and Garrett Larson at 8:59 fo the firs period. The Pioneers would then get a two-man advantage, but failed to capitalize as several shots were blocked in a solid defensive effort from Holy Cross.

The Crusaders out shot the Pioneers 17-5 in the period, with most of the shots coming on the first power play of the game. Holy Cross pressured late but Sacred Heart goaltender Kevin LaPointe was able to keep the puck out of the net.

The Crusaders would open the second period with back-to-back two-man advantages and was unable to get the puck past LaPointe, who made seven saves and had a little ;luck as well when one shot hit off the post and was covered up.

McKay would ave a golden opportunity to break the tie midway through the second period when he moved in on LaPointe one-on-one, once again LaPointe would keep the puck out of the net with a save off his right shoulder.

Bernie Chmiel would give the Pioneers the lead with just under eight minutes remaining in the second period as he buried a pass from Brad Holland who was behind the net. Also assisting on the goal was Mike Reagan.

Holy Cross would answer on the power play with a goal from Pierre Napert-Frenette, as he turned and fired on a pass from Coskren to tie the game at 2-2.

Thanks in part to nearly four minutes with the two-man advantage the Crusaders out shot the Pioneers 14-5 in the period and held a 31-11 shot advantage in the game.

The Crusaders would retake the lead just over one minute into the period when Coskren shot one off the top of LaPointe's right shoulder and into the net. The goal was unassisted.

The Pioneers nearly tied the game when O'Brien threw a shot on net from the near boards that almost rolled into the Holy Cross net after the initial save was made. The puck settled on the goal line between the pipe and Quesada's right pad.

The Crusaders would then break into the Pioneers zone on a two on one, but the play was broken up when Noel Henck dove between the two Holy Cross players to prevent the pass.

The Pioneers would pull LaPointe with 1:08 remaining in the game, hoping that by having an extra attacker they would be able to tie the game and send it to overtime. They wouldn't be able to however as Chris Sullivan scored on the empty net with two seconds remaining in the game.

March 16, 2004 RIDE THE RED WAVE