Men's Ice Hockey Falls at Providence

Men's Ice Hockey Falls at Providence

Oct. 12, 2003

Final Stats

PROVIDENCE, RI (October 11, 2003) - The Pioneers were coming off a tough 4-2 loss on Friday night and things did not get any easier as they lost to the Providence College Friars 7-2. The Friars won the previous meeting between these two teams during the 2001-02 season.

Providence had a golden opportunity to jump on top early as they caught freshman goaltender Jason Smith (St. Lambert, QC) out of position. The Pioneers would get lucky as Mike Robinson shot the puck wide of the open net.

Providence would get on the board first off a Pioneers turnover in their own end. Chase Watson would bang home a rebound to give the Friars a 1-0 lead at 5:53. Torry Gadja and Jonathan Goodwin assisted on the goal.

The Pioneers would quickly answer as they were given a two man advantage just seconds after the Friars goal. Senior Garrett Larson (Rycroft, AB) would net his first of the season from senior Marc-Andre Fournier (St. Nicholas, QC) and freshman Kalen Wright (Candle Lake, BC). That assist was the first point of Wright's collegiate career.

Sophomore Brad Holland (Northville, MI) nearly gave the Pioneers the lead on the following one man advantage, but Providence goaltender Bobby Goepfert was there to make the save.

The Friars would then strike for two goals in a 14 second span. The first was scored by Peter Zingoni and the second was netted by Godwin. Both goals were scored because of heavy traffic in front of Smith's net.

Providence would then take a 4-1 lead on the power play when Zingoni put a wrist shot past Smith form the far face off circle at 17:45.

The Pioneers would finally answer when Fournier scored his first of the season one minute later from senior Chuck Metcalfe (Edmonton, AB) and junior Barclay Folk (Westbank, BC) and close the scoring for the first period.

If the Pioneer freshman goalie had any butterflies going into the game those thoughts were quickly put to rest as he made 20 saves in the first period. The Friars out shot the Pioneers 24-12 in the period.

In all Smith would make 54 saves out of 61 shots on goal in the game.

"Smith got better as the game as the game went on," said head coach Shaun Hannah. "he made a lot of big saves, especially in the third period."

The Friars would get off to a fast start in the second period, scoring 23 seconds into the frame. Zingoni netted his third of the game when he stuffed puck between Smith's pads. Chris Chaput assisted on all three of Zingoni'l goals.

Cody Loughlean would extend the Friars lead to four goals with his first of the season at 6:49 of the second period. The lead would then be extended to five goals when Gajda scored his first of the season with just over two minutes remaining in the second period.

Tony Zacanaro had a shorthanded breakaway opportunity midway through the third period, but Smith was up to the task and made the save. Smith would come up big on several occasions in the third to prevent the Pioneers from falling any farther behind.

Hannah commented after the game that "we learned this weekend what we need to do to be a success this season. I thought we put in a solid 120 minutes this weekend. There were some mistakes that were made, but they're correctable."

The Pioneers will be back on the ice on to take on Holy Cross in their first Atlantic Hockey contest of the season at the Maine Black Bears Classic.

March 16, 2004 RIDE THE RED WAVE