COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.—The Sacred Heart men's ice hockey team was held scoreless in 5-0 loss to Air Force Friday night at Cadet Ice Arena. The Falcons (22-8-5, 19-5-3) defense held the Pioneers (11-17-5, 9-15-3) to 21 shots on the night as they push for an Atlantic Hockey regular season title. SHU will be on the road in the first round.
Air Force got on the board at 16:07 of the opening period as Jordan Himley fired on the open net as he was at the doorstep to collect the rebound on the shot by Kyle Haak. wide open at the doorstep off the rebound on the wrist shot by Kyle Haak at 16:07. The Falcons continued the attack into the second as Evan Giesler extended the lead with the open shot in the slot on the dish from Erik Baskin at 4:58. Air Force would score again at 15:12 as Baskin forced the turnover in the Sacred Heart zone on the power play and fed the centering pass to a wide-open Trevor Stone for the power play goal. Sacred Heart had a scoring chance as captain Mitch Nylen found Justin Danforth wide open for the breakaway look but was denied by Air Force goaltender Shane Starrett at 18:02 in the second period. The Falcons continued the attack into the third period as Tyler Rostenkowski was wide open on the right side on the lead pass from Brady Tomlak at 4:09. Himley added his second goal of the night as he fired in the open look from Johnny Hrabovsky on the five-on-three power play at 12:49.
The Falcons outshot Sacred Heart 39-21. Senior Jordan Minello led the Pioneers with four shots on goal. The Falcons went 2-for-8 on the power play, while Sacred Heart went 0-for-5. Sophomore Brett Magnus recorded 34 saves for the Pioneers. Starrett picked up 21 saves in his third shutout of the season.
The Pioneers close out the regular season tomorrow night against the Falcons. The puck is set to drop at 7:05pm.
- Danforth and Minello fire off shots on Starrett early in the first period
- Magnus with the stop on the rush by Kyle Serratore at 3:28 in the first.
- Starrett laid out on back-to-back shots by Minello at 11:45.
- Turnover in the Pioneers zone leads to an open look for Brady Tolmak but Magnus makes the big stop at 12:45.
- Stephen Hladin with the open look in the slot but Starrett comes up with the big pad save at 15:20.
- Falcons outshot the Pioneers 16-6 in the first period.
- Danforth got the open look on the rebound off the post and was denied by the blocker of Starrett at 9:57 in the second period.
- Magnus denied the wraparound shot by Tyler Ledford at 12:10.
- Stephen Hladin with a juke move past Kyle Mackey but backhanded shot is gloved by Starrett at 3:11.
- Mitch Nylen with the feed to Danforth wide open in the 4-on-4. But his breakaway shot is stopped by Starrett at 18:02 in the second.
- Evan Jasper with two shots gloved by Starrett in the first minute and half of the first period.
- Austin McIlmurray with the slapshot from the Point on the power play but stopped by Starrett.
- Magnus spectacular diving glove save on the shot by Evan Feno at 12:05 in the third period.