Football Clips Wagner in Double Overtime, 30-24

Football Clips Wagner in Double Overtime, 30-24

Oct. 2, 2004

Final Stats

FAIRFIELD, CT - Junior tailback Ed Pricolo (Johnston, RI) ran for a career-high 238 yards and two touchdowns, and sophomore QB Dan Ammel (White River Jct., VT) hit Alvin Franklin (New Haven, CT) with a 24-yard scoring strike in the second overtime to Sacred Heart University to a 30-24 win over Wagner College in a Northeast Conference football game Saturday afternoon.

In addition to notching his career high, Pricolo set a Pioneer school record by eclipsing the 100-yard rushing mark for five consecutive games.

Wagner, 3-2 overall and 1-2 in the Northeast Conference, got on the board first with 11:36 to go in the first quarter on a 23-yard run by Warren Barnett. Pricolo got the Pioneers even with 6:19 to go in the frame with a 40-yard scamper.

Seahawk QB John Sciarra, who threw for 342 yards in the game, threw a 68-yard bomb to a wide open Joe Kinard with 1:47 left in the first quarter to give Wagner a 14-7 lead.

Ammel tied the game when he capped a 70-yard drive by slinging a five-yard touchdown pass to Franklin with 14:14 left in the first half. A 31-yard run by Pricolo with 10:01 to go gave the Pioneers a 21-14 lead they would take into the locker room at intermission. The score had been set up by a 31-yard completion from Ammel to senior tight end Mike Peshler that took the ball to the Wagner 31.

After a scoreless third quarter, Wagner engineered an 11-play, 82-yard drive that was topped off with a two-yard plunge by Barnett that tied the score at 21-21.

On the next Pioneer possession an apparent 64-yard screen pass for a touchdown from Ammel to Jason Payne was called back because of a holding call. After that, SHU could do nothing and was forced to punt the football. Wagner took over at its own 32 after the kick and used another 11 plays and 54 yards to maneuver into position for a Piotr Czech 31-yard field goal that gave the Seahawks a 24-21 lead with 4:29 to play.

Sacred Heart, 2-3 overall and 1-3 in the conference, started a drive at its own 28 and ran the ball eight straight times. Pricolo ran the first two plays, picking up 20 yards but was forced to leave the game with cramps. Payne ran the next six plays, gaining 37 yards and setting up sophomore kicker Lars Anderson (Fairfield, CT) for a 27-yard attempt to tie the game with :37 left. Wagner used all three of its timeouts in an effort to ice Anderson. Anderson, ignoring the fact that SHU hadn't converted a field goal in four tries this season, calmly booted the ball through to tie the game at 24-24 and send it into overtime.

"You're either a hero or a goat in that situation," said Anderson. "There's no in-between."

In the first overtime, Sacred Heart went on offense first but failed to score. A 26-yard pass from Ammel to Bryan Butterworth on fourth and 11 was called back because of another holding penalty, and the subsequent play ended up with an interception by Wagner's Tony Smith. Wagner was unable to pick up a first down on its offensive possession, but Czech attempted a 32-yard field goal that sailed wide left and sent the game to a second OT.

Wagner had the first offensive possession in the second extra frame and it, too, ended with a missed Czech field goal - this one from 31 yards was also wide left. On SHU's possession, Payne ran the first play and lost two yards. An Ammel-to-Payne screen pass gained three yards on second down. On third and nine, Ammel found Franklin wide open on the left sideline at the two and tossed it two him for the winning score.

The loss was the second in a row for Wagner in overtime, after losing 28-21 to Central Connecticut in OT a week ago.