Pioneers Look For Three Straight at Saint Francis University
SACRED HEART (7-1, 2-1 NEC) at SAINT FRANCIS UNIVERSITY (2-4, 0-1)
GAME 09* Loretto , PA* DeGol Field* 12:00 PM*
Setting the Scene… The Sacred Heart Pioneers look for their third consecutive conference victory on the road against the Red Flash of Saint Francis University. The Pioneers are 4-0 on the road this season, including their first ever win at Bryant last Saturday. Saint Francis comes into this afternoon's game following a 28-10 home victory over Monmouth. The Red Flash scored two defensive touchdowns on their way to snapping a two game losing streak. SFU lost their only NEC game of the season to CCSU on October 5th by the score of 38-29.
Pioneers in NEC Play... The 2013 season marks the 16th season of play in the Northeast Conference for Sacred Heart University.
- The Pioneers joined the NEC in 1998 for football.
- SHU holds a 44-61 all-time NEC record.
- The Pioneers won the 2001 NEC Championship with a perfect 8-0 record.
- SHU is coming off a 9th place finish in 2012 with a 1-7 mark.
- The Pioneers were picked to finish 7th in the 2013 NEC Preseason Coaches' Poll
Series Notes... Saturday is the 18th meeting between the Pioneers and Red Flash.
- SHU set a new Division I program record with 60 points and broke the all-time mark for yards gained with 588 in a 60-45 win at home in 2011.
- Keshaudas Spence and Greg Moore became the first running back tandem in school history to both exceed 100 rushing yards in a game. Spence finished with 124 yards and four scores while Moore checked in with 152 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
- The Pioneers last trip to Saint Francis was last season. Pioneers were defeated 44-24 to close out their dissapointing 2012 season.
The Head Coaches... The Pioneers will be led by second year head coach Mark Nofri in 2013. Beginning his 20th season as a member of the Pioneers coaching staff, Nofri is the longest tenured coach in Sacred Heart program history. The Pioneers were 2-9 last season with Nofri serving as the interim head coach. Nofri is also the long time linebackers coach for the Pioneers, turning out several All-Conference and All-American linebackers including Jayson Jarrett '01, Kayode Mayowa '02, Craig Capurso '02, Jon Corto '06 and Chris Mandas '11. Chris Villarrial is in his fourth season as the head coach at Saint Francis University. Villarrial was a three-time All-American at Indiana (Pa.) and was a draft pick by the Chicago Bears in 1996. He played 11 seasons in the NFL for the Bears and Buffalo Bills.
Up Next... SHU returns home after the two-game road trip to take on their former NEC rival, the Monmouth Hawks on Campus Field at 1:00 pm. SHU has lost their last two to Monmouth, including a 27-14 setback last season in West Long Branch.