FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's basketball team could not withstand the three-point shooting of the Wagner Seahawks Thursday night in a 99-84 loss at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center.
Wagner - 19-7, 12-3 NEC
SHU - 9-19, 4-11 NEC
The Turning Point
SHU cut down an 11-point deficit to four with 5:10 to play in the first half, as a Chris Robinson layup made the score 28-24. Wagner responded with a 13-4 run over the next 2:51 to take a 41-28 lead with 2:19 left in the half. The Pioneers got within nine at halftime, 45-36. Wagner opened the second half with eight three-pointers in the first 9:23, as Romone Saunders' triple put the Seahawks ahead 74-59.
- After SHU scored first to open the game, Wagner went on an 11-0 run to take an 11-2 lead at the 15:26 mark..
- The Seahawks first four field goals were all three-pointers.
- Trailing 16-5, SHU went on a 11-4 run over 6:03 to get within two, 22-20, with 6:53 to go. Five different Pioneers combined for the 11 points with a Lopez jumper getting the Pioneers within two to cap the run.
- Sparked by a pair of Elijah Davis free throws, Wagner used a 9-2 run to take its largest lead of the half, 41-28, with 2:19 to go. AJ Sumbry had four of the nine points for the Seahawks.
- SHU shot 58.3% from the field in the first half, but was only 2-for-5 from the three-point line. Wagner made seven threes in the half and shot 50% from the half to take a 45-36 lead.
- Charles Tucker Jr.'s second three of the game got SHU within five, 51-46, at the 15:12 mark.
- Romone Saunders' three with 10:37 to go, Wagner's eighth of the half, put the Seahawks ahead 74-59.
- SHU got within 11 with 6:15 to play when a Sean Hoehn three capped a 9-2 Pioneers run and made the score 84-73. That triple put Hoehn over 20 points for the second straight game.
Key Stats and Notes
- Hoehn set a career-high in points for the second consecutive game with his game-high 24. He also had five assists.
- Joseph Lopez had his ninth double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- Mario Matasovic had 14 points, seven rebounds, and a career-high five assists.
- SHU shot 54.5% from the field, but made only eight threes to Wagner's 16. The Seahawks shot 53.8% from the field and 50% from the three-point line.
- JoJo Cooper led Wagner with 23 points, seven rebounds, and six assists.
SHU hosts Mount St. Mary's on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 1 p.m. for Senior Day. Prior to the game, SHU will honor the seven seniors on this season's team - De'von Barnett, Cavan LaRose, Joseph Lopez, Mario Matasovic, Chris Robinson, Charles Tucker Jr., and manager Lily Pierce. The first 100 SHU students in attendance Saturday will receive a Senior Day t-shirt.