FAIRFIELD, Conn. - With the game tied 71-71 with 2:47 to play in regulation, the Bryant Bulldogs closed the game with an 8-3 run to defeat the Sacred Heart Pioneers 79-74 Saturday afternoon at the Pitt Center.
Bryant - 1-15, 0-3 NEC
Sacred Heart - 6-10, 1-2 NEC
The Turning Point
After trailing by six, 40-34, at halftime, SHU opened the second half on a 15-5 run to take a 49-45 lead with 15:39 to play. The Pioneers led 52-47 when a pair of Sabastian Townes sparked an 11-2 Bryant run that saw the Bulldogs go ahead 58-54 with 9:40 to go. SHU made one last run to take the lead. Sean Hoehn's second three of the half capped a 9-3 SHU run to give the Pioneers a 63-61 lead with 7:22 to go. Adam Grant responded with back-to-back threes to put Bryant back in front 67-63. SHU battled back to tie the game 71-71, but Bryant closed the game on an 8-3 run to win 79-74.
- Joseph Lopez scored SHU's first 6 points as the Pioneers jumped out to an early 8-3 lead.
- De'von Barnett scored four points in a 6-0 run that put SHU ahead 16-7 with 14:30 to go, prompting a Bryant timeout.
- A Bosko Kostur jumper with 12:39 to play capped a 10-0 run that put Bryant ahead 17-16.
- SHU led 30-27 with 6:34 to play when Ikenna Ndugba hit a pair of three-pointers to put the Bulldogs ahead 33-30. Those triples started a 13-4 run that saw Bryant take a 40-34 lead at halftime.
- Barnett led SHU with 12 points in the half, making six of seven shots from the field.
- Bryant shot 56.7% from the field in the opening half.
- Hoehn made SHU's first three of the game at the 18:38 mark, getting SHU within three at 42-39. The Pioneers were 0-for-10 from long distance in the first half. Hoehn scored the Pioneers' first five points of the half.
- A Matasovic three-pointer and Lopez layup capped a 15-5 start to the half for SHU, giving the Pioneers' a 49-45 lead. SHU made four of its first five shots to start the second, including all three three-pointers.
- Grant's three-pointer at the 11:36 mark highlighted an 11-2 Bryant run that gave Bryant a 58-54 lead.
- The Pioneers responded with a 9-3 run over the next 2:13 to take a 63-61 lead. Hoehn's second three-pointer of the half capped the run.
- Trailing 67-63, SHU got threes from Matasovic and Kinnon LaRose to tie the game 69-69 with 4:10 left.
- Bryant made six of seven free throws in the final 3:00.
Key Stats and Notes
- Lopez led SHU with 20 points and eight rebounds.
- Barnett had a season-high 17 points, going 8-for-12 from the field. He also had six rebounds.
- Charles Tucker Jr. had a career-high eight rebounds and tied a career-high with nine assists.
- Bryant shot 48.3% from the field as SHU shot 43.1%.
- Grant led all scorers with 26 points, making 5-of-7 three-pointers. Townes added 21 points and six rebounds.
SHU travels to Mount St. Mary's to take on the defending Northeast Conference champions on Thursday, Jan. 13. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.