UNCASVILLE, Conn. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team was within three points of Saint Peter's with 1:30 to play Saturday night at Mohegan Sun Arena, but could not catch the Peacocks in a 70-61 loss.
Kinnon LaRose led SHU with 13 points, going 5-for-6 at the free throw line. Sean Hoehn had 11 points and four rebounds. Mario Matasovic and Joseph Lopez each had 10 points. Matasovic had a game-high six rebounds.
Sacred Heart – 0-3
Saint Peter's – 1-2
The Turning Point
SHU led for a majority of the first half, as back-to-back Hoehn threes gave the Pioneers a 12-7 lead with 14:06 to go in the half. The Pioneers used a 9-0 run to take a 29-18 lead with 6:39 remaining in the first after LaRose and Chris Robinson made four straight free throws. Saint Peter's closed the half on an 11-2 run, with threes by Davauhnte Turner and Nnamdi Enechionyia gave the Peacocks a 34-33 halftime lead. The Peacocks opened the second half on a 12-3 run to take a 46-36 lead at the 15:16 mark.
- Hoehn made back-to-back 3s to put SHU up 12-7
- The Pioneers largest lead of the half was 11 at 31-20 after two LaRose free throws at the 6:39 mark.
- SHU went the last 7:42 of the half without a field goal
- Saint Peter's outscored SHU 16-7 in the final seven minutes to take a 34-33 halftime lead.
- SHU was 14-for-18 from the free throw line in the half, and led for 18:27 of the half.
- Saint Peter's opened the second half on a 10-3 run; back-to-back threes by Griffin and Turner put Peacocks ahead 46-36 at 15:11
- Trailing 54-40, SHU went on a 9-2 run in 2:25 to get back within seven 56-49 at the 9:24 mark. E.J. Anosike scored four points in the run.
- The Pioneers used another run to get within three. A pair of Charles Tucker Jr. free throws sparked a 12-4 run over 5:24 that got SHU within three, 64-61.
- The Peacocks shot 52% from the field in the second half.
Key Stats and Notes
- SHU shot a season-high 79.3% from the free throw line (23-for-29)
- Tucker, Robinson, and Anosike were all 4-for-4 at the foul line Saturday night
- The Pioneers outrebounded their opponent for the third straight game (34-27)
- SHU shot 37.8% from the field
- Nick Griffin led Saint Peter's with 23 points
SHU takes on Maine Sunday afternoon at 12:30 pm at Mohegan Sun Arena in the Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament.