CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – Senior forward Joseph Lopez had his second straight double-double to open the 2017-18 season as the Sacred Heart men's basketball team dropped its first game in the 2017 Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament 73-53 at Boston College.
Sacred Heart – 0-2
Boston College – 3-0
The Turning Point
Sacred Heart made its first six shots from the field, taking a 13-5 lead on a Charles Tucker Jr. three-point play on with 16:08 to play in the first half. Boston College used a 10-2 run to take a 15-13 lead at the 11:06 mark. A Lopez layup sparked a 10-2 Pioneers run of their own, taking a 25-17 lead with 8:04 remaining. SHU was able to take a 31-30 lead at halftime. The Eagles opened the second half on an 11-4 run, as a Ky Bowman jumper gave Boston College a 41-35 lead with 15:43 to go. The Pioneers shot just 23.7% from the field in the second half as the Eagles ran away with the 20-point win.
- SHU made its first six shots from the field.
- Lopez and Matasovic combined to score SHU's first 10 points of the game.
- Boston College 8-0 run over 3:28 to tie the game 13-13 at the 11:49 mark. Deontae Hawkins made back-to-back threes to cap the run.
- SHU went on a 10-2 run over 2:48 to take a 25-17 lead with 8:04 to play in the half. The Pioneers made five straight field goals in the run, getting three-pointers from Hoehn and LaRose.
- The Pioneers held Preseason All-ACC selection Jerome Robinson to zero points in the half on 0-for-6 shooting.
- Boston College opened the second half on an 11-4 run, taking a 41-35 lead at the 15:43 mark.
- The Eagles took a 50-37 lead with 13:34 to play on Ky Bowman's second three-pointer of the half.
- After having 10 points in the first half, Lopez was held to 1-for-6 from the field and five points in the second.
Key Stats and Notes
- SHU shot 35.1% from the field, but made just two of 18 three-point attempts
- Boston College shot 39.7% from the field
- Zach Radz had a career-high four points and six rebounds off the bench
SHU continues play in the 2017 Basketball Hall Of Fame Tip-Off Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 18 when the Pioneers take on Saint Peter's at Mohegan Sun Arena at 7:30 p.m.