FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart men's basketball team won its fifth consecutive game Thursday night, defeating the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights 91-81 at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center.
This is the first time since 2009 that the Pioneers have won five straight games. SHU closed out its regular season home slate with four consecutive victories. Quincy McKnight led all scorers with 26 points and had a team-high six rebounds and four steals. He made 12 of 13 free throws. Sean Hoehn made four three-pointers on his way to 17 points. Joseph Lopez and Mario Matasovic also scored in double figures with 11 and 10 points respectively.
- Fairleigh Dickinson (11-15, 9-6 NEC) jumped out to an 11-6 lead four minutes into the game.
- Sacred Heart (13-15, 8-7 NEC) used a 7-0 run, capped by a McKnight three-pointer, to take its first lead, 13-11, with 14:32 to go.
- Three-pointers by Stephan Jiggetts and Darnell Edge gave FDU a 17-15 lead at the 13:35 mark.
- The Knights led 28-25 with 9:35 left in the half when SHU went on a 16-4 run over the next 4:19 to take a 41-32 lead. Hoehn scored seven points during the run and had a four-point play at the 5:16 mark.
- The Pioneers scored six straight points near the end of the half to go up 51-41.
- SHU shot 61.5% from the field in the half, making 5-of-10 three-pointers and 14-of-16 free throws.
- The Knights cut the deficit to six, 55-49, early in the second half on an Edge three and a Mike Holloway layup.
- SHU then went on a 9-0 run over 1:38 to take a 15-point lead, 64-49, at the 16:23 mark. Mario Matasovic scored five of the nine points and made a three to cap the run.
- The Pioneers led 81-68 with 7:13 to play when FDU went on a 9-0 run highlighted by an Earl Potts Jr. triple that cut the SHU lead to four, 81-77.
- SHU made 10 of its last 12 free throws to make the final score 91-81.
Sacred Heart shot 51% from the field, holding FDU to 40%. The Pioneers scored 26 points off 17 Knights turnovers. Potts led FDU with 21 points. Holloway had a double-double of 15 points and 12 rebounds.
The Pioneers go on the road to take on LIU Brooklyn on Saturday, Feb. 18. The game tips off at 12 p.m. and will be telecast on MSG and Fox College Sports.