FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart men's basketball team had two chances in the final 0:30 Thursday night to force overtime against LIU Brooklyn at Coach Bike Court at the Pitt Center, but could not convert as the Blackbirds held on for a 60-57 win.
LIU Brooklyn (14-8, 7-2 NEC) led 57-54 with 0:51 to play when Mario Matasovic hit his third three-pointer of the game to tie it at 57-57. The Blackbirds then got a layup from Nura Zanna with 0:27 to play to give LIU Brooklyn a 59-57 lead. Quincy McKnight had a chance to tie the game with 0:20 left but missed two free throws. Sacred Heart (8-14, 3-6 NEC) then fouled Jashuan Agosto with 0:13 left. Agosto split two free throws to make the score 60-57. The Pioneers had one last chance to force overtime, but Matej Buovac's three-pointer from the corner did not go down.
McKnight led SHU with 16 points. Matasovic had a season-high 13 points, making three three-pointers while pulling down six rebounds. Joseph Lopez had 10 points and a team-high eight rebounds.
- SHU jumped out to a 10-3 lead in the first 5:11. Sean Hoehn capped an 8-0 Pioneers run with a three-pointer at the 14:49 mark.
- LIU Brooklyn held SHU without a field goal for 6:18, going on a 9-0 run to take a 12-10 lead on a Nura Zanna basket at the 8:59 mark.
- The Pioneers took an 18-17 lead with 5:12 to go on a Matej Buovac three-pointer.
- The Blackbirds responded with a 7-0 run over the next 3:48 to take a 24-18 lead on a Jerome Frink triple.
- McKnight scored with 0:08 to cut the halftime deficit to three, 26-23.
- Both teams were 9-for-28 (32.1%) from the field in the first half.
- After McKnight scored the first points of the second half, LIU went on a 6-0 run to take a 32-25 lead at the 16:40 mark on an Iverson Fleming jumper.
- SHU went on a 7-2 run to cut deficit to one, 39-38, on a Matasovic three-pointer with 12:24 to go.
- Five straight points from Chris Robinson tied the game at 43-43 with 10:50 remaining.
- Fleming and Jerome Frink went on a 6-0 run for the Blackbirds at the 9:42 mark to break a 45-45 tie, giving LIU Brooklyn a 51-45 advantage
- SHU held LIU Brooklyn to one field goal over 6:48 to tie the game at 57-57 with 0:51 left.
- The Blackbirds shot 52% from the field in the second half.
LIU Brooklyn shot 41.5% from the field Thursday night, holding Sacred Heart to 35.6%. The Blackbirds also held a slim 37-36 edge on the glass. The Pioneers scored 14 points off of 16 LIU Brooklyn turnovers and got 19 points from the bench. Fleming led all scorers with 22 points. Frink had 13 points and a game-high 15 rebounds.
Sacred Heart travels to Mount St. Mary's for a Saturday afternoon matchup. Tipoff at Knott Arena is at 4 p.m.