Pioneers Hit the Road for Showdown with Holy Cross
Setting the Scene... Sacred Heart hits the road for a showdown against the Holy Cross Crusaders Wednesday night in Worcester. The Pioneers look to rebound from an opening night 67-54 loss to the Fairfield Stags in the Connecticut 6 Classic. The Pioneers shot a dismal 25% from the field and 19% from the three point line. The Crusaders are also looking for their first win of the season, after falling to the Harvard Crimsons 82-72 on opening night.
Series Notes... Wednesday marks the tenth meeting between SHU and Holy Cross.
- The all-time series dates back to the 1998-99 season with Holy Cross holding a 5-4 edge.
- The two programs have met each year since the 2007-08 season.
- Last Season, Holy Cross defeated SHU 83-78 to register their first ever win at the Pitt Center. Holy Cross junior guard Justin Burrell scored a career-high 30 points in the victory.
- Holy Cross holds a 4-1 edge in Worcester.
- SHU's 77-75 win at home on January 2, 2011 marked the 500th in the career of former head coach Dave Bike.
Sacred Heart vs. the Patriot League ... This is the Pioneers 27th meeting with a Patriot League opponent.
- SHU is 13-13 all-time against the league after a loss to Lafayette last season.
- Sacred Heart will face two other teams from the Patriot League this season, hosting Lafayette on Dec, 7th and then traveling to take on Lehigh on December, 1st.
- The Pioneers have faced Army (3-3), Holy Cross (4-5), Lafayette (2-3) and Lehigh (3-2), Loyola (Md.) (1-0).
The Head Coaches... Anthony Latina (Brandeis '96) is in his first season as head coach of the Pioneers. He becomes only the third head men's basketball coach in program history after Dave Bike retired following last season. Latina was an assistant coach under Bike for eight seasons. He was also an assistant for six seasons at Central Connecticut before coming to Sacred Heart. Milan Brown (Howard '93) is in his fourth season at the helm of the Holy Cross men's basketball program. Brown has guided the Crusaders to a 35-54 mark. Prior to becoming the head coach at Holy Cross, Brown spent seven seasons at Mount St. Mary's where he led the Mountaineers to the 2008 Northeast Conference Championship. Brown is 13-5 all-time coaching against the Pioneers.
Up Next... The Pioneers will play their home opener on Saturday afternoon against the Brown Bears at 2:00 pm.