SACRED HEART (9-13, 7-4 NEC) VS. SAINT FRANCIS U (2-21, 2-10 NEC)
Game 23 * Thurs., Feb. 14, 2013 * Fairfield, CT * Pitt Center
Setting the Scene... Sacred Heart is back on the court Thursday night hosting the Saint Francis U Red Flash. The Pioneers have been off since last Thursday's win over Fairleigh Dickinson thanks to the blizzard that pounded Connecticut over the weekend. SHU's game at Bryant was postponed and will now be played on Monday, February 25th. The Pioneers are now coming off a 77-70 win over FDU at home a week ago, their fifth-straight win in the William H. Pitt Center. The Red Flash have lost their last two coming in, falling at home to Mount St. Mary's, 69-58, on Saturday. SFU is 2-10 in the NEC this season and tied with Fairleigh Dickinson for last in the conference standings.
Series Notes... Saturday is the 22nd meeting all-time between SHU and SFU.
- SHU leads the all-time series 12-9.
- The Pioneers have won two-straight over the Red Flash after a 75-72 win in Loretto back in January.
- SHU has won 10 of the last 12 meetings in a series that dates back to the Pioneers first year in the Northeast Conference in 1999-2000.
- The Pioneers are 6-4 all-time at home against Saint Francis U
Pioneers in the NEC... Sacred Heart is in its 14th season of play in the Northeast Conference in 2012-13.
- SHU is 105-144 in conference play since joining the league in 1999-2000.
- The Pioneers best finish in the league was second, a feat they accomplished twice, in 2006-07 and 2008-09.
- SHU has qualified for the Northeast Conference Tournament six times.
- SHU has made two NEC Championship game appearances, falling to Central Connecticut in 2007 and losing to Mount St. Mary's at home in 2008.
The Head Coaches... Dave Bike (Sacred Heart '69) begins his 35th year as the head coach of Sacred Heart University where he owns a career record of 529-492. Only Jim Boheim of Syracuse has spent more time coaching at one institution. He led the Pioneers to eight NCAA Division II tournaments and his 1985-86 team won the national championship while finishing 30-4. Bike was named the national Coach of the Year by the NABC following the title game. Rob Krimmel (Saint Francis U '00) is in his first season as the head coach at his alma mater. Krimmel is in his 13th season as a member of the SFU coaching staff and was named the program's 21st head coach on April 19, 2012. Krimmel was a three-year starter and two-time team captain for the Red Flash from 1996-2000.
Up Next... The Pioneers are right back at home on Saturday afternoon facing Robert Morris in game two of a doubleheader with the SHU women. The Pioneers lost the first meeting this season, a 75-72 defeat in Moon Township, PA.
- Last Meeting with Saint Francis U... Sacred Heart shot 50.0 percent (13-26) in the second half as senior Shane Gibson led four players in double figures with 23 points to guide the Pioneers to a 75-72 win at Saint Francis U on January 19th. Gibson had 14 of his game-high 23 points in the second half. Louis Montes and Steve Glowiak each had 11 points while De'Aires Tate came off the bench for 12 points, six rebounds, three assists and two blocks. Saint Francis forward Earl Brown finished with a double double, 14 points and 15 rebounds. Ben Millaud-Meunier scored 20 for the Red Flash.