Chris O'Connor joined the Sacred Heart University Department of Athletics in January of 2015. He oversees the External Affairs operations of SHU Athletics, including Athletic Communications, Marketing, Promotions, Ticketing and Game Day Operations.
In January 2016, O’Connor led the redesign of the Pioneers athletic website, SacredHeartPioneers.com, in conjunction with PrestoSports. In addition, he has aided in the rebranding process of SHU logo marks to a consistent and dynamic look across all platforms. He led the transition to a new ticketing system for home athletic events, partnering with Glitner Ticketing.
O’Connor began his career in college athletics at Marist College, where he was a four-year member of the men’s swimming and diving team. He was a student worker in the Red Foxes Department of Athletics throughout his time at the Poughkeepsie, N.Y. school, graduating in May 1998.
- Spent the eight years prior to joining SHU at Fairfield University as Assistant Director of Athletics for Athletic Communications
- Played an integral role in the launch of FairfieldStags.tv, the Fairfield online streaming platform
- Served as the Sports Information Director at his alma mater, Marist College, from September 2001 through June 2004
- Served as the host media coordinator for the 2012 and 2013 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament games held at Webster Bank Arena
- Assisted in media operations for the 2006 & 2008 NCAA Women’s Basketball tournaments as well as the 2009 and 2011 NCAA Men’s Hockey regionals in Bridgeport, CT
- Organized and promoted the USBWA Journalism Seminar at the 2005 NCAA Men’s Final Four in St. Louis, where he also aided in the operation of the championship
- Spent the 2000-01 year at Fairfield where he was the SID for the program’s first-ever NCAA at-large berth in women’s basketball
- He spent 18 months at LIU Brooklyn as the primary media contact for NCAA Tournament participants women’s soccer and women’s basketball
- Began his professional career at Central Connecticut State University as an assistant SID